Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What are Little Boys Made of? Pee Breaks

Last week when I picked up the neighbor boy, Att, on my way to taking Asher to kindergarten, Att began relating to me their latest escapades as they scootered home from school.
“When we ride home from school we have to take so many pee breaks,” he announced proudly. “Yesterday we had to stop and have two pee breaks.”
We live less than a mile from the school and the boys can make it home within fifteen minutes of when the school bell rings.
These pee breaks consist of one boy yelling to the others, “Ah! I gotta stop for a pee break!” Then they all stop while one or more does his business on the side of the road. Only after they’ve relieved themselves can they continue their journey.
We live in the suburbs, which means there are houses all around, city streets and paved sidewalks.
As Att audaciously related this tale without reservation, I looked into my rearview mirror to see Asher with a look of utter bewilderment on his face. He had these huge eyes and was looking around the van, like he needed somewhere to hide.
Att had no qualms about relating this tale, but I swear I could see Asher’s thoughts, “What is Att doing?!? I can’t believe he’s telling this to my mom!” I had to try so hard to control myself.
I wanted to burst out laughing, but I calmly explained that:
1. It’s illegal to pee on someone else’s property. If a cop saw them he could give them a ticket.
And 2. If they peed on someone’s lawn the owner of the house might come out and yell at them.
To this, Att replied, “Well, we wouldn’t get yelled at because we peed at a house that was my friends’.”
My final word on the matter was something like, “I don’t want you to pee anywhere but in the bathrooms or at your own house.”
This isn’t the first time I’ve had to deal with my boys peeing outside, and strangely, I KNOW it won’t be the last.

9 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my. At least you can take comfort in knowing that although they might like to, Clara and Mary won't be participating in such shinanigans because well, they can't. Ain't plumbed that way.

heather said...

Man, Gabe is already starting to act like this. Not a good sign if it won't get better as he gets older. Oh well, thanks for the laugh.

Tia said...

Just wait until they decide to use the garbage can in their room like Skyler and Kyle did. :)HA, HA!!

Ginna said...

oh my GOSH! What is it about boys, small and large (and by that I mean men as well) loving to pee outside? It's like they think it's their god-given right or something, and exercising it gives them this manly feeling. Drives me nuts.

And that's hilarious that they only did it "on their friends houses" lucky friends...

ah, boys!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that peeing outside IS one of our god-given rights. For me, a camping trip is not offically a camping trip unless I've watered a tree or two. I'll just have to clear up the confusion with the boys as to what constitutes a camping trip. Sorry Dear.

Scott and Athena said...

Too funny! Oh, look what I have to look forward to! AAAGGHH!

AMY said...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HA!

Kirsten said...

That was absolutely great. I think sometimes it is easier having girls...even with all their mood swings, hysterics, etc. ;-) You guys handle the "boy stuff" with such dignity!! I would have tried to lecture Ethan, then winding up laughing and then not getting my point across!!! Joel's comment is awesome!!! You need to put it on the post underneath yours! Thanks for the laugh this morning!

Carly said...

I just found your blog through Ginna's. What a gold mine! I totally relate to the peeing outside. I fought it for a long time with my son. But it was a losing battle. Now's it's more like "could you please keep it to the BACKYARD of our OWN house?" Great to see you guys, and your cute kids!