Marilyn and I have been friends since them awkward days down to the PHS running Cross Country together. At first all I thought was she was this girl with the name of a grandma who wore those coffee-talk style glasses where the stems (what goes behind your ears) connected to the MIDDLE/BOTTOM of her lenses (I can't remember, exactly)
But then I realized she was really cool! She was really funny and we spent a lot of time together in high school hanging out.

But then I realized she was really cool! She was really funny and we spent a lot of time together in high school hanging out.
I've always marveled at the surprising similarities and extreme differences between us. Like, both of our dads are disabled in some way (her with the effects of polio, mine with what he just can't see) but my dad is a mechanic while her dad is a physics professor. She's the only girl in her family and her brothers were nice to her, while I've got loads of sisters and only remember the brutal torture I endured at the hands of my brothers.
She's the greatest girl - awesome cook, accomplished and gifted writer, Hinckley Scholar, concert pianist, book worm, natural birth wonder, devout runner, and really fun. Mostly, I'm just happy that we share a friendship. Happy that we exchange emails full of with sarcasm, nerdy quips, and general communion and understanding of each other. I feel grateful to be able to enjoy her awesome personality and to mooch off her good baking.
I have low expectations for friendships. It's a stupid marvel to me when I realize that someone enjoyed my company. But I feel lucky to have Marilyn for a friend. I look up to her a lot. And whenever I've felt I've helped her in some way or whenever we've had a great time together, it has brought me unmeasured satisfaction and feelings of self-worth. (I have self-esteem issues in being "friends" with people, feeling like I never quite learned how to do it) Still to this day, I'll find myself saying in my mind "Why is she friends with ME?"
When she married Sam I was a little disappointed. Not because Sam was sub-par in any way, but because it meant I'd have to give up my dreams of being able to say that my good friend Marilyn was a Rhodes Scholar studying at Oxford. (Here's a picture of the Radcliffe Camera, Oxford. Marilyn and I did a research paper on the dude who did something to make this camera come to be - ah, my memory serves me so well! Poor Marilyn! I don't know how she endured my 3rd grade reading and writing skills, or how she could belly up to the sub-100% we got on the paper! Sorry!)
But, I'm mostly over that now. Luckily, Sam is as cool as Marilyn. He encourages Marilyn's quirks in their activities together, and they're super-fun to hang out with. What I guess I never appreciated about Sam was that he's an artist. Like, a real artist. I don't know what I THOUGHT he was before, but I wasn't expecting this quality!
But, I'm mostly over that now. Luckily, Sam is as cool as Marilyn. He encourages Marilyn's quirks in their activities together, and they're super-fun to hang out with. What I guess I never appreciated about Sam was that he's an artist. Like, a real artist. I don't know what I THOUGHT he was before, but I wasn't expecting this quality!I've been working on this little Christmas painting for about three months now and I HONESTLY started thinking there wasn't much to this art stuff.
Then I woke up to Sam's art. He's works for Disney developing concept art for video games or something arty/techy like that. (you lika my jargon-speak?) When I started going through his blog, it BLEW ME AWAY! Wow, Sam! You are absolutely amazing! Let's highlight some of your posts here:
Then I woke up to Sam's art. He's works for Disney developing concept art for video games or something arty/techy like that. (you lika my jargon-speak?) When I started going through his blog, it BLEW ME AWAY! Wow, Sam! You are absolutely amazing! Let's highlight some of your posts here: 



(This is a painting of their new baby, Malachi)





Sweet, huh? So, pretty much their a power couple in several ways (art ways, music ways, English-writing ways, baking ways, etc.). I didn't know Sam was as talented as Marilyn (albeit in different ways), I just knew I liked them together. Now ya'll know it, too.
The best was, the last time we hung out with them, afterwards Joel was talking to me about how impressive they each, and together, are, and he said, "It makes me think, 'Why are they friends with US?'"
No kidding.

8 comments:
How cool! I haven't seen or heard anything about Marilyn in forever--thanks for spotlighting them! How fun to see how they're doing--and I didn't know that youguys were friends in high school!
(hey I hope you don't mind me just bursting in on your blog--but I really like reading what you write and seeing all the pictures of the adorable kids!!)
Honestly, Marilyn and Sam are those guys from the bible that each got 10 talents and then turned them into 20 and then got married so they have 40 and I'm the one with the talent in the sand because I really can't figure out what in the heck the talent is. (I know that it doesn't mention a wedding in the talent parable... but you know...) Anyway Beth thanks for writing about how cool they are because they are. And that MUST mean that you and Joel are cool by association. No offense to the brotherhood but they don't have THAT much coolness clout. And I'm glad you're friends with Marilyn because that way I get to hear updates on how cool she is. I mean I was so ticked in high school when she transferred out of beginning foods class because that was my one chance to be cool by association with Marilyn. At least I can be cool through your cool association. Maybe.
Holy cow, I thought the Noah's Ark in the kids bedroom was amazing, he is an incredible artist!
Aaaa! I had no idea these kind of rumors were out floating around on "the web" (or whatever you kids are calling it).
Thank you; however, (proper semi-colon usage! another one of my merits!) in the interest of balance I should perhaps also list a few of my faults. (My brother Kenneth has compiled a more complete list which he is always offering to show me.)
1. I like James Bond movies
2. I have had the same stick of deodorant since I got married (going on 7 years)(I only use it on Special Occasions)
3. I often find myself offering an opinion and then realize halfway through that I don't really know what I'm talking about
4. I eat too many brownies
5. I turn the space heater by the computer on even in the summer, because I like to have warm feet
6. I make fun of church movies like "The Testaments," even though (or because?) they make me cry
7. I can't do a cartwheel (not just now--I have never been able to!)
I could go on, but I don't want to disillusion you too much in one sitting.
Everything you said about Sam, however, is true. Quite true. He is amazing. What astonishingly good sense I had to marry him.
P.S. I thought my glasses were cool!
First, the deodorant thing grosses me out. I think you now need to move to Europe in order to fit in. How come you never have b.o.? Maybe I need to smell you a little more closely next time I see you.
Second, I do the same thing when I say something. I'll say it, trying to sound important, and then afterwards think, "That's not really how I feel about it, after all!" Stupid. I have yet to figure out how to THINK before I SPEAK.
OH MY GOSH! This has nothing to do with this post, but I had no idea where else to write it. I just barely noticed that Clara is in the backpack on joel's back in your header picture. It freaked me out. I thought it was just the boys. And then there she is. Did you just photo shop her in? ;-)
No, that is actual footage of our hike. We have a killer backpack just perfect for hiking with wee ones. Usually I'm the one carrying the backpack on account Joel usually has a broken collarbone (how convenient!).
Post a Comment