Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

Love is In the Air!
I wish I had digital files of pictures from when we were dating. It would make this post much more entertaining. Anyway, here's a little more than you ever wanted to know about Joel's and my courtship:

1. Where did you meet?

Who knows? We went to the same elementary, junior high and high school. He was a snobby A-tracker and I was a regular, salt-of-the-earth, blue-collar C-tracker. Needless to say, our paths didn’t readily cross. The first time we noticed each other was in our senior year of high school on Halloween night 1996, at the seminary council party at Warren Robison’s house.

2. What was the first thought that went through your head when you met?

I thought he was really cute.

3. Do you remember what he was wearing?

He was dressed as Indiana Jones. We lovingly refer to him as IJLC, which is his favorite movie (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) – for many years this movie contained the only lines he could quote from a movie and the only actors he knew by name (Harrison Ford and Sean Connery). Thanks to Nacho Libre, his pop culture knowledge has nearly doubled in the last two years. It is the Beyst.

4. Where was the first time you kissed this person?

After a double date with Ammon and my friend Amy, we dropped Amy off at her house. Ammon and Joel drove me home to my sister’s house and Ammon waited in Grandpa Rass’s Lincoln for an HOUR while Joel and I had a heart-to-heart that finally ended in a kiss. (Honestly, we owe just about everything to Ammon for helping to get us together, to keep us together after Joel's mission, and to prod us toward marriage)

5. How did he/she ask you out?

He called me on the phone.

6. Where did you go for your first date?
We went to the dollar movies and watched ‘That Thing You Do’ with a bunch of his friends. I remember thinking that even though he was in the seat next to me, he was absolutely as far away from me as he could possibly be without sitting in the laps of the people on the other side of him…he was a little shy.

7.How long did you know this person before you became a couple?

We met in October 1996, but didn’t become a couple until May 1997.

8. Has this person ever proposed to you?

We done it. On May 24, 2000 down to the Provo Temple after we’d gotten in our first fight.

9. Do you and this person have kids together?

We have too many for me to adequately cope with, honestly. Each time I get pregnant I think I was so STUPID to think I could handle it!

10. Have you ever broken the law with this person?
Never. However, I have broken the law several times without him.

11. When was the first time you realized that you liked this person?

The first day I met him.

12. Do you get along with any of the ex's of your partner?
Ha ha! He has NO ex’s. Bless him. I married the most honest, innocent, moral person that has ever lived. Now you can feel sorry for him that he married me!

13. What’s the most expensive thing this person has given you?

You might think it would be my wedding ring, but it’s actually my digital camera.

14. What is one thing he/she does that gets on your nerves?

He doesn’t usually clean up after himself if he makes food for himself and the kids.

15. What is the thing you do that gets on his/her nerves?

I’m so high strung. He tires of my impatience.

16. Where do you see each other in 15 years from now?
If I haven’t gone on a real vacation alone with him by then (something that includes an airplane, the hot sun and a swimming pool for us to relax by) it will probably be because my kids have pushed me over the edge and I’ve been committed to the state mental hospital…clue in on that, Joel.

So, you know how when you read about the pure love of Christ in the scriptures and it says you have to be long-suffering, patient, kind, doing good to all men, etc. That’s Joel. He puts up with so much in me. When I’m pregnant, I cry everyday. I’m always exhausted and hormonal, and Joel gets the brunt of it, usually, right before bed. But he loves me, anyway, and has really helped me overcome a lot of my ‘issues’ in the last 7 ½ years. He’s the perfect match for me and just about everyday I can’t believe how well we get along together, how much peace is in our home, and how good looking he still is. Plus, he just emailed me and asked me if I would join him in his quarters this night for a toast (of sparkling cider, that is). I'm pretty sure I'm going to, even if it makes me look like a floosy.

7 comments:

Emily Rasmussen said...

you are such a floozy!!! :o) That was fun to read about. I honestly loving hearing about how people are happily married. I guess I am a bit of a romantic. I also love hearing how hard people's kids are for them. It is such a priceless gift to let another mother know she's not that only one hormonal, and about to lose her mind!:o)

Oh, and I agree. I want so badly to go on a vacation with my man. Somewhere sunny and beachy! When we have money we'll be going every summer- - oh, I forgot we have kids...maybe once every five years?!?!?!?

Tia said...

Beth, that was such a great post! You and Joel are such a cute couple! I really appreciate the example/friendship you two have provided me. I always have lots of fun at your house.
I was tired of getting dirt kicked in my face - so in 5th grade, I switched to A-track. It was the beyst!

Marilyn said...

Oh, how cute! I think you guys are so great together. Good work!

Megan said...

That's right Tia...A-track was the beyst. Except when I had to be in Meservy's class. That sucked. Rocks. Anyway... Beth...I'm so darn glad that Joel snagged you. I think of you as one of my best friends (even though you probably just consider me a distant relative)...you're my sister. Thanks for taking him in and for trying to make him fashionable and normal (or a semblance of it). And you're not the only hormonal impatient woman out there. Dan could tell you stories about what he's been through with me that would make you cry like a babe. :-)

Megan said...

Oh, and you're a total floozy.

heather said...

Beth you crack me up. I love reading stories of couples getting together.

Kirsten said...

I loved reading all about you guys! I have heard a little bit from Ammon but this was much better. Ammon's version includes more of disco skating, etc! ;) He'd kill me if he knew I mentioned that!!:) Anyway, your not stupid to get pregnant....you have the most beautiful children and you need to keep making a ton more. If I were in Utah, I would watch your kids so you COULD get a vacation...but just keep pushing Joel to do it...maybe for you ten year! Hmmm...I want to know what you have been up to breaking the law by the way...I wonder if it has to do more with this floozy business?!?! Thanks for sharing everything. You guys have the cutest marriage and I wish we lived closer. I am glad you didn't give up on Joel!! :)