Here it is:
(A.G.'s picture)
(My picture, 1/2 way through cooking the dish, using beans, not puree)
Pasta with Beans and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Boil 1 lb. pasta - bowtie, macaroni, penne, whatever. (I use one whole bag – 17.5 oz. of the stuff from Costco. It’s not as cheap as Amy would like, but it’s the best quality pasta I’ve ever used! Mmmm!)
In a large dutch oven or huge skillet add 2 tbsp. olive oil
1 c. sun-dried tomatoes, including oil that the tomatoes are preserved in (it was a big deal for me, but I finally broke down and bought a large jar from Costco for $7.00)
4 garlic cloves, minced or smashed (smashed is much easier and it still gets the garlic flavor in the dish. Just take the peeled garlic clove and whack it with the broad side of a heavy knife. It’s so much faster. Then, if you don’t like chewing garlic, you can easily remove the large smashed chunks once the dish is prepared.)
¼ - 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (I always add a ton of flakes, but I can only ever taste the heat if I bite into one of the flakes in the dish…this may be because I bought my red pepper flakes 5 years ago from the dollar store.)
Cook for 1 min, or until things are looking toasty.
Add 1 c. pasta water.
Reduce liquid in skillet by ½ (takes just a couple of min., depending on how high your heat is)
Add 2 c. or 1 lb. pureed* white beans (you can use a can of beans, if you prefer, but I like the puree SO much better because the sauce that it produces at the end is YUMMY!)
Add ¼ tsp. salt and mix until combined.
Add 1 ½ c. pasta water. Bring to a boil, cook at an active simmer for 4 min.
Add al dente pasta to skillet.
Remove from heat.
Add parsley (as much as you like) and ½ c. parmesan cheese.
Before serving, add 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil to dish.
Also, I always cut up a string cheese and put it in my bowl.
I make this at least twice a month. Most of the time I put it all in the fridge and eat some everyday for lunch, warmed up. It’s the best comfort food, but I think it’s also good enough to serve when friends are over for dinner.
*If you don’t make your own beans, you should start doing it. Open up your enormous tub (I know you have one in your food storage) of beans and put a few cupfuls in your biggest soup pot. Add a ton of water, put it on your stove and turn the heat to high. As soon as the beans start to boil, turn the heat down to Med. Low or Low and cook for it on the stovetop, stirring about once an hour, for a couple of hours, until the beans are mushy and soft. (Add more water as needed to ensure beans are always covered in water.) Then let it sit on your stovetop until it cools, drain the beans, and put them by cupfuls into Ziploc bags. (Snack-sized bags hold 1 cup, sandwich-sized bags hold 2 cups) Freeze the beanbags (just a little bean humor) and then just pull out what you need when you’re making dinner. When I make white beans I cook 3 lbs. at a time. After I cook them I get my blender out and puree half of the batch, ladle it out in 1 or 2 cup increments and freeze them with the rest of the beans. It’s so easy!!!
7 comments:
that sounds so yummy...but every time I try to cook my own beans they NEVER get soft. I have cooked beans for like two days straight...I must have bean cooking disabilities. Hmmmm. I guess I can try again. I will have to try this recipe soon. I have been eating sundried tomatoes everyday for the past two weeks and this would be fabulous!
Okay, doing my own beans is something I've never dared try. But you inspire me. So once the beans are frozen, you can just dump them into things just as if they were canned beans?
And, this recipe sounds super good. I'm excited to try it!! P.S. Do you have a costco membership? And if so will you let me go there with you sometime? There are a few things I used to get there with my mom, but she doesn't have a membership anymore. And how else can I get the necessary high-quality ingredients for this recipe?
WV: adstate. I like the adstate of your blog (i.e., no ads on it). Except for the a.g., of course. :)
I love that you put food ideas on your blog. A lot of the time I get stuck in a cook ruts (I'm currently in one) where I cook the same stuff over and over and over. I love new ideas... so thanks!
P.S. I need your address so I can send some giveaway goodness your way.
Beth--loved your comment on my blog. So I had to check out your blog, which is WAY better than mine!! :) I'm going to have to put you on my list of favorites. Okay, it's no wonder Joel (and Megan) love you. I just about died at your "closet" version of "You're So Vain Goes to a Fireside." That was a killer! Thanks for making me laugh so hard today! :) P.S. L-O-V-E the sunflower cupcakes. I, too, have and cherish "Hello Cupcake" (check out my post from yesterday if you haven't already--I saw from Megan's blog that you and I were working on them simultaneously!!). However, I am still unskilled (okay, CHICKEN) of frosting with actual tips, so my hat goes WAY OFF to you on those sunflowers! I can see I'm going to have to make my way to UT with my little "Hello Cupcake" under my arm and have you teach me! :)
Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. I'm going to have to try me some beans.
I seem to love recipes. Especially when there are pictures of the finished yummy thing. But I never make them. I just grab things like carrots and cheese and run on to the next thing. I save the recipes, but always forget I have them. I think I need a mother. Or a cook. I don't suppose you are looking for a very, very low paying position . . .
This looks very yummy! I will definitely try it sometime- as soon as I get around to getting sun dried toms.
Post a Comment