You know that part on Princess Bride where Buttercup, pining for her dead lover, says, “I’ll never love again.” I feel like saying that about boiling vegetables. Picture me with gorgeous blonde locks in a beautiful medieval peasant dress, saying, “I’ll never boil again.” Why, you ask? Well, because I’ve discovered ROASTING! Specifically, roasting broccoli. You wouldn’t think it would taste that good, huh? But it’s GOOD! Really good, and fancy!
Here’s the premise: you roast the broccoli at a really high temperature and the little florets get a bit crispy on the tips. It’s yummy. Here’s the recipe: (and here’s where I got it from)

Roasted Broccoli
2-3 bunches of broccoli (make sure it’s dry. If it’s wet, it’ll just get steamed instead of roasted)
2-5 tbsp. good quality oil
1 clove garlic, smashed (optional – I leave it out on account I already have halitosis issues and my husband’s got a sensitive smeller)
About 1 tbsp. kosher salt, or to taste (I feel quite foodie-snobbish now that I own kosher salt for myself. It’s kind of like being in a special gourmette*-ingredient club.)
pepper, to taste
zest of 1 lemon
juice from ½ of a lemon
¼ c. parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut broccoli into bite-size florets and spread onto cookie sheet. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper, lemon zest and add garlic clove. Toss to coat and roast in oven for 15-20 min. or until broccoli is tender and getting browned at edges. Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan and fresh lemon juice. Eat while it’s hot and it will be SO GOURMETTE* in your mouth!
The first time I tried the recipe, I used bottled lemon juice from the fridge and no lemon zest. It was gross in comparison. If you don’t have a fresh lemon, omit the lemon all together. It’ll still be a good side dish when made with salt, pepper and parmesan.
I served my broccoli with sweet potatoes cooked according to similar directions: tossing with oil, salt and pepper and ROASTING! THEY WERE SO AMAZINGLY YUMMY!
Roast, people! ROAST!
*Marilyn and I both (or is it just me?) say gourmet by pronouncing the t at the end, because Marilyn’s dad, a brilliant physicist, says it. And if a brilliant physicist says it, I’m going to, too. And if he also says ‘Wal-Mark’ instead of Walmart, he must be on the same wavelength as my dad, and maybe he’s also related to the guy at Joel’s last job that thought façade was pronounced fake-ade.
Do you have anymore funny word mispronunciations to add? If so, please, please do.

Here’s the premise: you roast the broccoli at a really high temperature and the little florets get a bit crispy on the tips. It’s yummy. Here’s the recipe: (and here’s where I got it from)
Roasted Broccoli
2-3 bunches of broccoli (make sure it’s dry. If it’s wet, it’ll just get steamed instead of roasted)
2-5 tbsp. good quality oil
1 clove garlic, smashed (optional – I leave it out on account I already have halitosis issues and my husband’s got a sensitive smeller)
About 1 tbsp. kosher salt, or to taste (I feel quite foodie-snobbish now that I own kosher salt for myself. It’s kind of like being in a special gourmette*-ingredient club.)
pepper, to taste
zest of 1 lemon
juice from ½ of a lemon
¼ c. parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut broccoli into bite-size florets and spread onto cookie sheet. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper, lemon zest and add garlic clove. Toss to coat and roast in oven for 15-20 min. or until broccoli is tender and getting browned at edges. Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan and fresh lemon juice. Eat while it’s hot and it will be SO GOURMETTE* in your mouth!
The first time I tried the recipe, I used bottled lemon juice from the fridge and no lemon zest. It was gross in comparison. If you don’t have a fresh lemon, omit the lemon all together. It’ll still be a good side dish when made with salt, pepper and parmesan.
I served my broccoli with sweet potatoes cooked according to similar directions: tossing with oil, salt and pepper and ROASTING! THEY WERE SO AMAZINGLY YUMMY!
Roast, people! ROAST!
*Marilyn and I both (or is it just me?) say gourmet by pronouncing the t at the end, because Marilyn’s dad, a brilliant physicist, says it. And if a brilliant physicist says it, I’m going to, too. And if he also says ‘Wal-Mark’ instead of Walmart, he must be on the same wavelength as my dad, and maybe he’s also related to the guy at Joel’s last job that thought façade was pronounced fake-ade.
Do you have anymore funny word mispronunciations to add? If so, please, please do.
27 comments:
oh man that looks so good. And makes me so sad that Dan doesn't like broccoli OR sweet potatoes. I hate that because then I feel like a nag saying "Just TRY some."
I used to think that poise was pronounced po-ess. It's not. And also once in AP US history class I said Ba-Roo instead of bureau. That was bad.
Sweet looking plate Asher's got there! Kids all over the WORLD need one of those.
Hooray! I just bought broccoli at the store tonight (it is so cheap right now) and was wondering how to fancify it - not even kidding!
I know several people who say herbs by pronouncing the H sound. Sounds like they are saying our neighbor Herby Day's name all the time.
Sounds so good!! Thank you!!! We love roasting too. Maybe you have this already but this is our favorite way to roast veggies...(it is a little cheaper in the summer when these veggies are more in season but we still make it in the winter!)It is so colorful too.
South Beach Roasted Vegetables
1 medium zucchini
1 medium summer squash
1 medium red bell pepper
1 medium yellow bell pepper
1 lb. fresh asparagus
1 red onion (I add this sometimes)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Cut the vegetables into bite-size pieces.
Place vegetables in a large roasting pan and toss with the oil, salt and black pepper. Spread in a single layer.
Roast for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are lightly browned and tender.
Enjoy and thanks for the recipe!
well, we say, Wal-fart or Wally-world here!
Hey, I just saw on my doll post that you wanted one...I would love to make you a doll. I'm still in Idaho right now, but when I get back into town next week I will start making it. Just email me your address k ;) Hope you guys had a good new year!
heatherlw@gmail.com
Holy cute family Beth! Hi, it's me Amy. I hope you don't mind me peeking in, but I stumbled upon your blog and had to check it out. Last time I saw you, you were prego and now your baby is already a little lady. She's adorable, by the way, and your family pictures are so very cute!
P.S. I think I'll try roasting myself some broccoli tonight.
Oh, I am sooooo excited to become a convert of roasting my veggies! Mine are always very boring--"nuked" for 3-5 minutes plus salt and butter. But no longer. Does the broccoli still smell, though? Because no matter how I have cooked broccoli or whatever else is cooking, once I've done it, Seth comes in the house and says, "Eeeew, what is that smell?" Really encouraging words to hear as a wife slaving over the meal . . .
Seth (and his dad) always say, "foil-age" instead of foliage. And we noticed on the news the other night that Kevin Eubanks, channel 5, does the same thing. Also, Seth's dad (who is hilariously serious and spiritual) doesn't like the word "asphalt," so he instead refers to it as (and I'm not spelling it right, but I don't think I want to) "bichimum."
Hey! I was looking on the Vance's blog and stumbled upon yours in the process! How are you guys? Are you still living in provo?
Joe has some funny ways to say words like:
Coupon = q-cpon
Orange Juice = oranche Juice
and his grandma always says davenport instead of couch...lol
We love doing vegetables this way. Works great with asparagus, also.
And, we pronounce the unnecessary "e"s at the end of fancy-named places, like the Provo Towne Centre (pronounced Townee Centreh)
I’ve learned a lot from your blog here, Keep on going, my friend, I will keep an eye on it,
Interesting layout on your blog. I really enjoyed reading it and also I will be back to read more in the future.
Interesting and important information. It is really beneficial for us. Thanks
All that we are is the consequence of what we have estimation. Wait… Has anyone exhorted dissertation to you. Keep the articles progressing !
Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post is simply great and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.
Interesting layout on your blog. I really enjoyed reading it and also I will be back to read more in the future.
really nice pics.
unlock blackberry pearl
Thank you, thats very interesting information. I need to share with my friends.
Thanks for such a nice blog and very nice picture. I need to share with my friends.
Wow, Fantastic Blog, it’s so helpful to me, and your blog is very good.
Thanks you. Very good post.Unless they can offer a really compelling reason for users to come back, it will be the next Bebo, MySpace
Post a Comment