Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Norma's Bean Soup

This recipe was obtained from my ward cooking group last March. Norma, a new member in our ward, is a great cook and this soup has quickly become one of our favorites!

Bean Soup

8 oz turkey smoked sausage or kielbasa cut into ½ inch slices (I use 16 oz., which is a full package of sausage)
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped celery
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 ½ quarts reduced-fat chicken broth
2 c. peeled sweet potato, cubed
2 c. peeled potato, cubed
3- 15 oz. beans (navy beans, black and pinto or 3 combinations of beans that you like - I often use kidney for one of them), drained - I just use a combination of 6 c. of beans that I've made at home and stored in sandwich bags in my freezer
3/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
1 ½ - 2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

In Dutch oven (or soup pot) sauté smoked sausage, onion, celery, and garlic in oil until sausage is brown. Add remaining ingredients and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer covered, until potatoes are tender. (About 10 to 15 minutes.) If soup is too thick add more chicken stock. Makes about 8 1/2 servings.

No comments: