Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What Will We Name the Baby?

So I honestly haven't given much thought as to what to name the baby what I'm carrying. Like some people I know, I don't really like to talk to people about what I'm going to name the baby because

1. I change my mind about it at least once a month and
2. I get sick of seeing people's disappointment in my choices.

With every kid I have heard the reasons why I SHOULDN'T name the baby whatever I've chosen.

Lincoln - "They'll call him Stinkin' Lincoln." - They/we do...honestly, sometimes he DOES stink, so...



Asher - "It sounds too much like Ashley." - But, I like the name Ashley.
"Kids might call him Asser." - They do/have. Our cousin, Taylor, who really is the sweetest, nicest kid, has had a bit of a speech problem in the past, i.e. car door was pronounced by him coy doy, etc. A year ago when he was visiting during Christmastime Joel came home from playing games with his family with the most incredulous look on his face. "Asher told me that Taylor called him Asso!" I just looked at Joel and said, "Joel, Taylor can't say Asher's name! He was just saying Asher's name." Joel: "Oh." The next day Taylor was sitting on a stool at his grandma's house and in the sweetest way patted the stool next to him and said, "Hey, Assy, come sit by me."



Clara - "Isn't that the name of a cow? Clarabelle?" - Yeah, a cow from a Disney cartoon that no one has seen since 1986.



For this baby several name incarnations have already been shot down. Ginger sounded too much like a stripper (okay, I'm the one that decided that). Lola was the same. And "Fiona will remind everyone of Shrek."

I mean, I get it, okay? When my friend Marilyn named her baby Sebastian I was like, "But, that's the name of the crab from the Little Mermaid!" Yeah, EVERY name is going to conjure SOME bad connotation for SOMEBODY! As a Special Ed teacher I have my own list of names that remind me of the "special" kids I used to teach and the "special" reasons why I could never name MY kids the like.

There's Rayden who would shout out to me in the hallways, in class, wherever I saw him, "5 star boxes, teacher!? 5 star boxes!?" Yes, Rayden, you can color in 5 star boxes.

There's Kayden who, although he couldn't read more than three words anticipated the Wheel of Fortune Extravaganza in my class and said, "What's that say, teacher? The Wheel of Fortune Estrasasanda?" (That's where the name of this blog comes from)

There's Michael, an autistic boy who perseverated on clocks, who surprised me one day by opening the elastic waistband on his pants, reached down into his big boys, pulled out his wristwatch, slid it onto his wrist, and licked the face of the watch.

And there's Paige, who incessantly pooed her pants in first grade and would CONSTANTLY yell "Boo!" to me while making starburst motions with her hands as I was trying to teach.

Okay, actually I am forever endeared to my special ed kids and I miss teaching SO MUCH! So, I guess those names aren't out of the running, per se.

I am just as opinionated as the next person about baby names. I don't want any name that's too popular. Joel keeps saying he wants to name it Emily, but I refuse simply based on the fact that it's at the top of the baby name lists these days.

Also, I don't like odd ways of spelling names. Why do we have to spell Makayla 12 different ways? My friend Elicia has a devil of a time with her name. She told me someone once called her El-lick-ia. Her maiden name is Timpson, and she also said someone once called her Elicit Tampon. That one's my favorite. I keep thinking about someone really saying it assuming it really was her name and it makes me laugh every time. If you see me chuckling to myself like Toodles from Peter Pan, I'm probably just thinking about my good friend, Elicit Tampon.

My point about baby names is no matter how crappy the name you chose for your baby is; no matter how stupid and odd it sounds; no matter how many druggie-celebrities are named the same; everyone will come to like it or not based on your baby's personality. So, in the end, as long as your baby is incredibly cute and sweet and amazing, people's opinion of that name will change to reflect that. Hooray!

As stated before, my list of name possibilities has changed over and over again. Previously on the list:

Girl Names:
Willow
Jude
Emma Grace
Lauren
Kaiya
Lindy

Boy Names:
Forrest - I don't care that there's a movie called Forrest Gump!!!!!!

A favorite game we've played with the last two pregnancies is coming up with the most "interesting" names we can think of. When Clara was still cooking we came up with a couple of winners:

Fritzi Special - after the great Spanish Fork clothing outlet
Ricey, Beefy - names Asher and Lincoln came up with
Posey - after the lady we bought the house from

This pregnancy has garnered a few additions to the list, but I would appreciate your help in coming up with better, more interesting options.

Tiara Beige - doesn't it sound awesome?
Hail Mary - I swam with a girl in high school who's name was Damaris and I could never figure out if her name was Dam-aris or Da-mare-is. The only way I finally learned was when a friend said, "It's so when her mom's mad she can just say, Damn Aris!" If we name this one Hail Mary we could just say all the time, "Aw, Hell, Mary!" and it kind of wouldn't be swearing.
Cysty - I have an ovarian cyst that's currently taking up considerable room in the womb (although, it's perfectly harmless, they tell me). We talk about it like it's the baby's twin.
Rainbow, Sunshine - Actually, if I thought I could get away with it I would name a baby Sunny or Sunshine because I knew someone really awesome and inspiring named that.

So, does anybody have any good submissions to add?
This list seems so incomplete. Please! Help!
P.S. Here's video of Clara, it's indulgent, but she's really cute.

15 comments:

Tia said...

Holy Hanna Maria is available. As is Shalavoo- the invisible girlfriend we gave Cody for all those years he couldn't get a real one. My personal favorite is Sparkle - we have a consultant named that...really.
Okay, seriously, Lindy is one of my all time FAVORITE dances, I mean names. Really I have always wanted to name a little girl that but we've already decided on Olivia and we think that sounds too much like Lindy.
Good luck - my favorite is the story about the watch being pulled from his big boys! Ha ha ha!

Marilyn said...

Am I the person who was really inspiring named Sunny or Sunshine? Because sometimes people call me that, on account of me being so sunny and cheerful and all.

Sam and I like good solid names that will allow boys to bypass certain requirements for social acceptance, and simply receive that acceptance as part of their due, such as Bishop, Captain, Doctor, and President.

For girls, Tia has inspired me . . . perhaps something that expresses the "Sparkle" of her personality, without being as "yesterday" as Sparkle is. . . such as Radiance! or Luminous! or Blinding!

I have some others that I like, but I won't reveal them in such a public forum. Perhaps during our scrapbooking tutorial I will let my guard down.

Marilyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Hmm! I'm so curious about the comment that was deleted. I wonder if it was someone telling me I was going to hell for what I was going to name my baby...luckily they deleted their harmful comment before it caused permanent damage.

heather said...

Beth- I just love your blog. Chris and I were laughing about the story of Asher, which by the way we really do love that name.
But, its like you said, whatever name you pick everyone will come to like it because of the baby. Plus, you guys make some good looking kids so it really doesn't matter what you name your next baby.
But, here are some names that we really like:
Girls:
Iris
Olivia
Mariela

BOys:
Bernard (yeah, chirs is in love with this name...its a famous baseball players name. I on the other hand...not so much)
Ezra
Eliot

So feel free to use them...if you like. I mean we do have the same last name but it really doesn't matter.
PS: Clara is so beautiful. Love the video

Marilyn said...

The comment was deleted because of profanity. Lucky for you that my better self prevailed!

Emily Rasmussen said...

Usually I love hearing people names because its so fun to hear their different choices and I really don’t care if I don’t love them or not it just makes me happy they aren’t using a name I am planning on using. This family in my parents ward is so out in their kids names I absolutely love it!!! Their fifth baby they let their older kids name. She was named Super Starr Five Jemima their oldest is Trixie Petunia Pineapple, another one is Ruby Buttercup, There son is Herkimer, and Super Star would have been Trukasaurus if she had been a boy! Poor kids. :o) I just hope that they're are spunky enough to pull it off, which I am sure they will be if they have parents willing to name those very…funky, spunky names! But like you said who cares what people think?!?!??!?! But even saying that I realize I guess I do because I have to give myself major pep-talks to get up the nerve to tell people what we are going to name our babies as it hurts my feelings a little bit when I can tell they are pretending to like my name. But it has never stopped me from using the names I want to.
But I do have to say what’s wrong with the most beautiful name in the world...EMILY !!! :o) I guess I didn’t really like my name growing up I wanted to have a more mysterious and sophisticated name not such a wholesome, average and sweet one. But since I am basically very wholesome, average, and sweet I figure my mom knew what she was doing. :o)

PS a good/fun name tester is to Google the name and then you’ll see the general stereotype given to that name. I think it’s nice to avoid all those stripper names. :o)

heather said...

Beth- this website is a list of baby names that are/were popular depending on the year. It might help if you guys are looking for names and trying to avoid popular names. Thought it was fun.
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Amy said...

Of course the name "Wade" is usually available. And when people say it they will only think of someone with compassion, love, socialbility, passion, drive, you know all the things that people named Wade are.

Amy said...

It still stings that my wife would use such cutting sarcasm, but I think you could name it Crohn which you might think is a dance such as "crumping" but is really a disease of the small intestine's. I also like Maleria which i think is quite elegant but has a bad name, for some reason, in some cultures. this is Wade I am not privy to a google account as of this writing.

Kirsten said...

Beth- I love when you post! It is so fun to see how the kids are changing and growing up. You have the most adorable children!!! The picture on the top of your blog with Joel and the kids is adorable!!

gunnfam said...

Hi Beth, I don't know if you remember me but I'm married to Josh Gunn, the rasmussens' cousin and I found your blog through them. I love your latest post and I vote for Emma Grace. (my oldest daughter is Grace and it's super cute.) To add to your list of wannabe's. . . Amythyst, like the stone, but you could call her amy for short. When I was a little girl that's what I wanted to name my daughter, but Josh vetoed it out. So our second daughter is Eliza and we call her Ellie. Good luck with the name thing, and your kids are so cute.

Rochelle said...

Beth-- this post made me laugh out loud! I totally agree with every single thing you wrote. We got the same gripes when we told people about our Lincoln. The biggest comments we get are the ones in reference to Abraham Lincoln. People are just retarded sometimes. Our other little boy is Graham... people have loads of fun with his name. I love the name Emma Grace. We almost named our Grace that but went with Grace Olivia instead. Your family is so adorable. I heard about Tia's wedding and was SO thrilled! It made my day. Will you tell her congratulations for me? I miss your family so much! Those Grandview days were some of the best in my life! Take care--

Rochelle (Christensen) Wilde

Tia said...

I've decided I really like the following girl names and think you should consider them: Iris, Raven, Boston, London and Stella.

elicia said...

okay beth, so i'm a little late to weigh in on the name comments, but I couldn't resist. As you know, my misnomer names are endless (the crowning glory being Elicit Tampon) and I've decided that curious names build character. That is why I blessed my children with the tedious conversation starters that I call "middle" names. We have Atticus "Wynnskyzer" Gray, Juniper Shayda Gray, and Talmage Sting Gray. We've decided, that our last one will be Olden... Gray of course. They'll hate us later, but never will they be one of 10 John Smiths in their first period english class. i love your blog. thanks for the laughs!