Sunday, January 6, 2008

Scrappin' it Up!

Look at me scrappin' it up! I am so sick of doing crappy scrapbook pages by hand. It takes me forever - about an hour each page - and they still look like a 13 year-old did it.
I bought a CD of scrapbook files from the craft store but then discovered CUTER, free stuff on the Internet (http://www.shabbyprincess.com/) It took me a while to figure out how to do it - what program to use, how to download (and unzip) the files, what format to save it in, etc. But now one page takes me about 15 minutes and they are slightly cuter than my handmade versions.
Hooray! I'm so glad to be saved from the tortures of real scrapbooking (I was never a REAL scrapbooker, so real scrapbookers: please do not be offended. I honor your creative expression just as I honor mimes or jazz dancers/flag twirlers (in parades) for their creative expression)
Does anyone need a tutorial? I would love to show you how it's done. And I'll take anyone's advice, tips, tricks, etc. on how to do it better. (Except from Tia, because her version of scrapbooking always includes sandpaper, which seems very wrong, and because it's has to be 2nd-gen stamping, when I never even mastered 1st-gen stamping! "Close to ma Heart!")

So, here's the first page what I done. We went on a trip to Vernal this fall because Joel had to oversee a dam. We stayed in the NASTIEST motel (the Sage Inn) on the only street in Vernal that anyone could classify as the bad part of town, but our kids kept saying, "Wow! This is the nicest hotel ever!" ...we don't get out much. We took the town by storm! - Visited the dam site for a few hours, went to Pizza Hut for dinner (DINE-IN!!!! _and_ we ordered sodas)

we went to D.I. (my favorite part of the trip, and I kept thinking the whole time how proud Dan would be to know that we went there) visited the dinosaur museum (pictured below), a city park and we spent considerable time at a wildlife refuge. It was such a fun trip, although I had to have lots of rests on account a my compromised condition (prego).


Here's our Halloween page (cute paper, for sure!) Lincoln was a pirate, Asher was a vampire, and Clara was Dorothy from the wizard of Oz. Joel and I were what we are every year, it seems, disco people/skaters/dates, or something. At our ward Halloween party we scored the prize for the cutest date (or something like that). I'm pretty sure that while they gave awards to anyone who dressed up, we came home with top honors. Also of note, I wore my rollerskates because they are lime green and white and so are my white polyester pants with green stars down the leg. I was skatin' it up like ya'll know I know how to do and someone asked me if I had ever been in a skate club, like at a roller rink. I took the question as a observant compliment to my abilities.


And here's Christmas. Lincoln and Asher both got what they asked Santa for. Lincoln got pirate dress-ups and Asher got a flashlight. But the Geo Trax which also came Christmas morning took up the bulk of our attention through the holidays.

After we opened presents Joel got out his motorcycle and pulled the kids on tubes on the fresh snow. He said it made his Christmas. It was fun family activity. Whenever I was on the tube with Clara she'd be totally silent the whole time unless I said 'woo hoo' and then she'd echo the sentiment. I kept asking her if she was having fun, and in her lowest, most bored voice she'd say, "uh-huh."

P.S. We had our ultrasound and found out we're having a girl. We're excited and happy that the baby is looking much cuter than most fetuses.


7 comments:

Emily Rasmussen said...

Cute pages! I haev been tempted by the computer version of scraping I I was so overwhlemed by all the stamps and stuff that I was about to ditch it all for good but then I found my saving grace. The Cricut. It has done for me what the computer stuff has done for you. Because I am not a true scraper I really needed some training wheels.
But if I hadn't got the cricut I would totally on board with you!

Becca is interested in starting the computer stuff. You should hook up with her and show her your stuff.

AND CONGRATS ON going to be having A GIRL!!! i SaW YOUR COMmENT ON MEGS BLOG AND WAS SO EXCITED FOR YOU. if she is half as cute as Clara then she will be GORgeoUs! - - - sorry the kids wanted to help me type :0)

Kirsten said...

Beth! Cute pages! I agree, sometimes scrapbooking frustrates the heck out of me, but Ammon would never let me switch with all the supplies I have got! Plus I guess I'll admit that I enjoy it! ;) Cute, cute pages though. It looks like you are already caught up. Way to go! Keep showing your pages...they are cute!
Secondly, I had no IDEA that you were pregnant! I found out when I read Megan's blog. See, I survive by these blogs! How far along are you? When are you due? How are you feeling?!!! Congrats on having a little girl! That is so exciting. You and Joel should have like 10 children because you make cute ones! ;)

Megan said...

I'm so glad you're bloggin' it up these days. And you're way better at 2nd gen. stamping than you give yourself credit for. Me? I'm so good at it I added a couple more generations. Thanks for posting, it makes me less grumpy just reading it. And yes I desperately need a tutorial on that digital crud. I downloaded some stuff but now I can't do anything with it. Prah-ly cause I'm tarded. And so what? its another girl. Let me know when you have something exciting like an ape or an orca.

Megan said...

Oh, and about Dan. He would be proud of your D.I. trip. He is still sad we didn't go to D.I. when we were in Vegas. Another thing about Dan: you mentioned that your fetus was better looking than most. Well, when I was pregnant with Maggie I saw a show on TLC about Primordial Midgets (people that only grow to be 18 inches tall I used to have nightmares about them when I saw one in the Guiness book of World REcords in 3rd grade). Anyway after our ultrasound I told Dan that I was relieved that the baby was the correct size...and he goes, "Well, I don't know, her femur was under the 25th percentile." I started crying fearing giving birth to an elvin child. Anyway, I'm glad your fetus looks good.

Tia said...

Ahem...I represent that comment about the sandpaper. I'll have you know that distressing your paper (especially the CTMH paper with the white core) is the first and second and NEXT generation of stamping and scrapbooking. I guess we'll see about you ever getting loads of free paper, stamps and stickers from me again!
Really, in all honesty, I want to do digital! They look SUPER cute and you are right - it takes a lot of time to copy a layout from a magazine (because I don't have the creativity to think of one on my own). I'm all for a tutorial!

Becca said...

Sign me up for a lesson, we started talking about this on the the 4th of July and I still havn't done anything about it. But you inspire me. I love your pages. Are you going to print them out? let me know!!

Megan said...

Tia, Beth's just jealous that her sandpaper techniques are so lacking. You keep on sandin' it up, you hear me? Hold your head and your sand paper high. And don't you ever let Beth tell you differnt!