Friday, June 12, 2009

Now We Are Six

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a good portraiture of a 6 year-old?
I do.

He's not really interested in smiling for the camera over and over again. He's right in the middle of that painful smile phase. He prefers to look silly, pouty, scary or mean over charming.
You know what did the trick for me, finally? Getting him to do really sweet, awesome, incredible tricks while I snapped away.
But like Grandma Rass says, "Use the best of what you got. And then what you got's the best you got."
There's real wisdom in that.
Here's the best of what I got:
Happy Birthday, Bud.

10 comments:

Ginna said...

He's adorable! I love the green green grass, the fence behind. I also LOVE the jumping pictures.
Max is the same way these days. I can't just get a sweet smile for the camera. I have to have him doing something else.
Yay for being 6!!

Marilyn said...

Oh, I love him. I love six-year-olds and all their silly self-consciousness. I think you got some darling ones. In fact, they couldn't be micer!

Emily Rasmussen said...

I think those pics are the best. He is so handsome he dosen't really need to smile at the camera to look good. :) And I think you are a great photographer. Happy Birthday!

heather said...

Happy Birthday! He is so handsome! It's funny that he doesn't want to just smile for you, but these pictures did turn out great.

Tia said...

Oh, my goodness! He is SIX?! Man alive, I wish they would stay little forever!

K said...

Great work, thinking of the tricks! Boy did he catch some air! He looks so much like Joel. But then, his face is like a gentle merging of the two of you. I love your Grandmother's wisdom - it's true and peaceful. The shots you ended with are way worth keeping, but the others tell their own story. My own baby just turned twenty. I'm not sure I'd have much better luck trying to get him to be civilized in front of the camera.

Meridee said...

I love this boy!!!! Great pictures.

my favorite color is green said...

What a cute 6 year old- you did great!

Megan said...

oh beffy, he's darling. I laughed my head off with each picture. you're the greatest mom. he's one lucky kid is all I know. the ones where he looks like he's gonna huck the chair are my favorites and the one of him where you looking down at him on the grass with that crazy look on his face. Love him like he's my own cause he pretty much is.

The Redhead Riter said...

Wonderful photography! Beautiful children make it easy, huh?