Saturday, August 23, 2008

Re-upholstery Magic

Presto-Change-o!

Most of you know that just about everything in our house is either from D.I. or it was given to us. Here we have the highest in country charm fashion from 1990, a hand-me-down from somebody I used to babysit for. While it boasts high quality construction and upholsteryship (made that term up myself) the fabric was getting worn and....stained. Ah, here's the matching ottoman. Beautiful. Perfect for rolling down the hallway like a boogie board in the ocean. It, too, suffers tears and stains unbefitting a furniture piece of its caliber. (Note in this picture my uber sweet log bed)

What these fine furniture needed was someone with a loving, patient touch; Someone with skilled hands and an unabashed flair for high fashion.

You can assume they never got that. What they got was ME. You know me: impatient, cheap, with reckless abandon. This nice set was practically begging me to just LEAVE it in its shabby state rather than endure the tortures of my "Chester-quality" job. (Chester is my dad and he does odd jobs just as well as I do...which a lot of times means the job gets done and fast, but not always well.)
But I couldn't. I wanted to recover them. So, I went to the Home Fabrics in Arm (Orem) found cool gold fabric for $3.50 a yard and bought a bunch. Then with meticulous precision I ripped off most of the fabric and pulled out hundreds of staples. See:


Poor chair and ottoman!

Then I cut out huge pieces of fabric, laid them over the chair and did my best to jimmy rig them in place with Chet's electric stapler. The arm pieces, shown below, were cut out wrong. So, after I cut out all my other pieces to staple on I realized I had just enough fabric left over that I could cut out new arm pieces. So I did. And then five seconds later I realized I CUT THE FABRIC IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!!!!! Aargh!
Here they are finished. You see that cushion looking so unpresuming and cute? Well the little punk took me FOUR hours to make and the piping still looks like a cub scout did it! If I ever do another reupholstery project again, piping will NOT be included!

Don't look close, fools! This is a Chesterized Beth Williams project! Why do you think I chose such blurry photos?

In all, this project took me about three years to complete (...or 1 month) It was a lot of headaches and I have a bruise on my shoulder from the kickback of the staple gun (really). But if you're a woman of leisure, like me, you've got plenty of time for these little crafts.



Whenever I do these projects I'm always diving in before really thinking through things, assuming the project will figure itself out. I don't like to think about step two until I'm halfway through step one. Afterwards I often feel a bit of remorse that I didn't plan better or try harder to do a better quality job. Then I console myself by thinking how it looks better than it did before (though not much) and that the whole project came in under $25.

If you think you'd like to Chesterize a chair or two of your own, here's some words of advice:

1. Don't plan ahead.

2. Rip off the fabric way before you buy your replacement fabric so that your kids will roll all over the batting/foam for a few days to dingey it up.

3. Don't worry about having the right size of staples. Just use whatever you have (1/4") for half of the chair and then switch to a bigger size when you realize your two year old could pull all the fabric off by herself.

4. Buy as little fabric as needed. You don't want to spend an extra $5 on fabric when you could piecemeal the back of the chair...nobody looks back there, anyway. Plus, you love taking another hour out of your day to go back to the store to buy more.

5. Don't worry your head about taking all the old fabric and piping off before you put the new stuff on. Everybody LOVES seeing piping from the old job under your new fabric. It's really cool.

6. Clean up can be saved for a rainy day! Scissors, electric staple guns still plugged in, loose staples and jewelry pliers are FINE where they are when you have shag carpet and small children running around.

7. Buy as much time away from your kids as you need to finish this job by turning on PBS kids...for educational purposes. Every good re-upholstery mom wants to expand her children's minds.

8. Finally, put your finished product in the baby's room because it will NEVER get beaten up there.



15 comments:

plugalong said...

I've heard of using a glue gun instead of staples...

Beth said...

A glue gun would work for parts of the chair, but I think you do need staples for most of the work that you want to stay in place. But what do I know? I never even went to uphostery school

heather said...

I think the chairs look awesome...then again the pictures were blurry.;)
But I think you did a great job, I also love the fabric!

Marilyn said...

Bethie,
Those chairs look _great_! I mean it, I'm so impressed!! I re-covered my Grandma's kitchen chairs a couple years ago, and it was _hard_--and they were comparatively easy, mostly straight lines. I didn't plan ahead either, but your job looks WAY more professional than mine. I can't believe you even did the piping!! How did you know what to do? Maybe you can help me cover my Grandma's old chair and couch sometime. And I love the fabric you chose, too! It's so hard to find cute fabric! Wow! (I'm gushing. Is that embarrassing? Sorry, it's just that I'm so impressed with you!) Good job!

Marilyn said...

p.s. That D.I. montage was awesome

Tia said...

Holy cow, I think this was your best post yet. I laughed the whole way though. Good work beffy. I love the chair!

Sam Nielson said...

Nice work, and the blurry chair looks great! I can't help but wonder though, with dang four kids, shouldn't you have picked a more durable fabric? Like linoleum, or plexiglass?

James Yvonne and Elise said...

Love the chair, cute fabric too! You had me laughing the whole way.

Kirsten said...

You never cease to amaze me, you wonder woman!! It looks awesome and way to go on such a neat project. I love the finished look too! Way to go! ;) P.S. I also firmly believe in the educational purposes of PBS watching...what do you think my kids are doing right now!? ;-) Just kidding!

megan said...

You've got me smiling and laughing and rolling on the floor again, Beth. I loved this post. And I love how great your chair and ottoman look, the fabric is so cute! Your piping looks better than the original piping on my current couch, if that's any consolation.
It's good to know I'm not the only one that gets some hairbrained (or is it "harebrained?") idea about "refurbishing" something and just goes at it pell-mell, willy-nilly, helter-skelter. I started to do our dining chairs that were hand-me-downs I don't know how many times before they got to us that were starting to fall apart. I just figured they needed some fixing up and nailing back together. So I started by pulling all the staples out of the upholstery from one of the seats, and it took so long that with bloody, bruised fingers I gave up and threw them all away. Now we have two cheap, cheap Ikea chairs instead of four nice hand-me-downs.
So at least you see your projects through to finish!

megan said...

HA ha ha! and "woman of leisure" makes me laugh.

jess and seth said...

Beth, I really like the chair. Really! It looks great! You are amazing. And I laughed and laughed and laughed . . . You should see my couches. They are 1975 vintage and the kids jump on them so the seams pop open all the time. But do I recover them with cute fabric? Oh no. I just use some old kite string and sew them back together so they have little bulges on the piping.

Christi Williams said...

Hi Beth,
It was so fun to find your blog.
You're great!!

kacy faulconer said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I was going to try to recover a chair with piping but now I know I can't. Even with your tips.

King J, Queen M, Princess E and Princess M said...

I just might have to do this myself. Your directions were very precise, and I think I could handle it. lol Oh and everything in our house is hand me downs or Di furnature as well. Well at least until this move when we decided to be grownups and splurge with some of the equity money.