
I’m revisiting the Breakfast Brulee recipe because I like it so much. Yoplait yogurt was on sale again this week, so this morning I tried the recipe again.
Also while grocery shopping this week I picked up a package of day-old cake donut holes, originally intending them to be used in Lincoln’s school lunches next week.
Since I never buy refrigerated biscuits I wanted to try this recipe using other “breads” to see if the recipe was flexible. Here’s this weekend’s version:
Churro Brulee
Since I never buy refrigerated biscuits I wanted to try this recipe using other “breads” to see if the recipe was flexible. Here’s this weekend’s version:
Churro Brulee
2 eggs
12 oz. vanilla yogurt
¼ c. milk
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Beat together until mixed
20 cake donut holes (covered in cinnamon), smashed
I preheated the oven to 375 degrees, then sprayed 8 ramekins with Pam. I placed the ramekins on a cookie sheet and put 1 ½ smashed donut holes in the bottom of each ramekin and then topped it with ¼ c. of yogurt mixture. Then I topped each with 1 smashed donut hole and poured some water into bottom of cookie sheet. Then I baked it for 20 min.
I preheated the oven to 375 degrees, then sprayed 8 ramekins with Pam. I placed the ramekins on a cookie sheet and put 1 ½ smashed donut holes in the bottom of each ramekin and then topped it with ¼ c. of yogurt mixture. Then I topped each with 1 smashed donut hole and poured some water into bottom of cookie sheet. Then I baked it for 20 min.
The result: It was good, although not quite sweet enough. I assumed that the donut holes would have enough sugar in/on them to sweeten up the custard. But both Joel and I sprinkled about a ½ tsp. on top of our cooked custards and liked the flavor better that way. Next time we make this recipe we’ll definitely sprinkle a ½ tsp. of sugar over each custard before we top it with the donut hole.
We also liked the texture that the donut holes brought to the dish. It was not doughy at all, but smooth, cakey and yummy. And the cinnamon that covered the donut holes reminded both Joel and I of a churro: the top of the custard had a slight crunch to it, and the custard underneath reminded us of the chewy/soft inside a churro. So, it was a hit! We loved it. I’m interested in trying out this recipe with other yogurt flavors as well as other breads. Particularly, I can’t wait to get my hands on Meridee’s artisan bread recipe so I can try it out in an upcoming breakfast brulee creation.
We also liked the texture that the donut holes brought to the dish. It was not doughy at all, but smooth, cakey and yummy. And the cinnamon that covered the donut holes reminded both Joel and I of a churro: the top of the custard had a slight crunch to it, and the custard underneath reminded us of the chewy/soft inside a churro. So, it was a hit! We loved it. I’m interested in trying out this recipe with other yogurt flavors as well as other breads. Particularly, I can’t wait to get my hands on Meridee’s artisan bread recipe so I can try it out in an upcoming breakfast brulee creation.
Ole!
6 comments:
Oh my goodness! That sounds SO amazing!!! I wish I had the stuff to make it for breakfast tomorrow, but the chances of me getting out to the store before then are fairly low. All I've got is plain yogurt and wheat bread, probably not good substitutes. I'm excited to hear about your other variations, also. Get going on those soon, would you? :)
yum, I didn't know you could cook yogurt like that. I love churro's too - especially the ones at costco. Looks like i'd better visit the hostess store to get some donuts so i can make this!
These do look really good, I think Marilyn and I might take a trip to the store this week to get the ingredients we'll need. . .
I've been lurking a bit, and I wanted to tell you my family and I loved the brownies with butterscotch and one of your friends orange juice cake. So yummy! Thanks for sharing them!
Monica (Walker)
wow that sounds great.
Your recipes sound great! Between you and Tia I may never need another recipe book. I really hope Tia gave you the darling little outfits from me. They were just too cute to put on Elise and I thought you would think the same thing. Feel free to give them away if you to think they are too cute for Mary!
Post a Comment