When Lincoln and Asher were little I went to Target to get their pictures taken. But too often I came away disappointed with scary photographers and less than gorgeous pictures of my cute kids.
For the past two years I've been taking the kids to get their pictures taken at Fotogenix. They do a great job, their children packages are less expensive and the lighting is always flawless. But it's still too expensive.
I want great pictures of my kids, but I've become tired of trying to justify to Joel how I spent about $45 on three sheets of pictures. I took Clara there for the last time last month to get her 2 year-old pictures taken. It went great! There were so many pictures of Clara that were so adorable that I finally decided on a collage 8X10...that cost $60...one sheet.
That was the deal-breaker for me. I finally told Joel I can't go there anymore. I'm tired of the guilt of spending so much money. Now, I'm switching it up.
I bought a reflector so I could take Tia's bridal and engagement pictures last fall. And Joel's been saying for years that I should just take the kids' birthday pictures with my little digital camera. So, I done it.
It was Asher's birthday on Thursday (basically, it was a Star Wars Estrasasanda!) so the next day Joel and I loaded the kids up and went down to the Utah State Hospital (that's where you go if/when you're crazy) for some photog fun! Here are the results, along with my own version of the $60 Fotogenix collage.




After a 10 second tutorial on how to use the reflector, Joel was/is now the resident professional photographer's assistant of the Utah State Hospital.


Cute, huh?
9 comments:
Those are great! When I come to town are you taking my kid's pictures?
Heck yes I am! I'm not so good, really, but I LOVE taking pictures. Any other takers?
Yes...you can take our kid's pictures too! I totally know what you mean. There is this place in Vegas that I love taking the kids too, but always feel guilty about getting pictures b/c they are so expensive. I haven't been there since. BUt I am very impressed. Also, Asher is so handsome. When he gets older all the girls are going to have crushes on him. What can I say,you just have good looking kids. I guess it's a williams thing. :)
um, yeah, can i make an appointment? can you make adults look cute too? my talm. needs new pics. you're good!
Well done. For a sucky picture taker you're really really good. No seriously Beth, you did awesome. And don't worry if I pretty much volunteered you to do Squire's bridals. She said you said I could do it, but I told her I'd hold the reflector and keep her from making too raunchy of poses and you'd snap the pics. My favorite one of Ashy is the full body shot with his legs to the side with the rock wall. He's a darling boy. All I want to know is, why isn't he wearing the jedi cape? Come on! And after i'm not as fat... can you take our family picture?
Excellent job Beth!! Very cute!!! BTW, around how much are reflectors? They make such a difference and I think I wouldn't be so scared of outdoors shoots if we had one. Where do you aim it though? At their face or chest? I LOVE the one of Asher in the middle. You did such a good job on all of them. I completely agree with you. Trying to justify so much money (especially with four kids) on a couple of sometimes very disappointing (Karli's one year shots! ;( ) photo shoots is discouraging. No more studios for you! You are a pro!!
Excellent work Beffy. That Ashy doesn't make it hard though - he looks cute all the time. I love how excited he was to show me his new cape and Star Wars picture dictionary. That reflector was the best $20 on photog equipment ever spent!
Beth, you are an excellent photographer, and you had a very handsome subject.
I'll definitely hire you to do some shots of Ollie. I'll pay you, too!
I wish I had read your post just a few days sooner! We've just had a family portrait done with a professional photographer, and I already know it's going to really hurt when it comes time to dish out the dough. I'd still have paid you, but I would have at least been paying someone I know and who does a good job.
well, that's the way it goes.
Hi bethy!
you are skilled. and yes, at Christmas you are now appointed to take our family picture, yes? i think it's necessary, because we need and want to see you guys anyways- it's just been too long since we did. say his to joel and your 4 lovely children from us!
Post a Comment